Here are the minutes of the South Shore Brew Club monthly meeting on 11/8/2011 at Frank White’s house.
30 Members attending
- Yearly dues are due. Please pay up.
- Holiday Party – Dec. 9th at Brian’s house, starting at 6PM. Sign up for sides/desserts on the forum calendar, Brian will be making beef tenderloin as usual. We need to invite any friends of the club. Also, please bring beers to swap.
- Pub crawl – Nov. 19th, starts at the Kinsale at Government Center. So far, 12 people are interested. Details are on the forum.
- Kate the Great SSBC 2010 group brew was bottled. Shares are now available, and can be picked up at Frank’s.
- Newport Storm collaboration party is on 11/11/11. They will be tasting the Newport Storm ’11 collaboration beer, plus beers from participating brewers. Tickets are $11, and it goes from 7-9 PM at the Coastal Extreme brewery.
- January meeting is the Specialty Beers competition. The only beers that are out of style are beers that can fit into some other style (including Belgian Specialty, which means pretty much any Belgian-style beer is out of style for this competition).
- Reminder: The February meeting was moved to Wednesday Feb. 15th to avoid a meeting on Valentine’s day.
- NERAX North is Thurs-Fri-Sat at the Tap in Haverhill. They have 45 firkins.
- Jim Bowser is trying to start a NERAX South in Plymouth. He is looking for club support/volunteers to do cleanup/setup/etc. to support this event.
- If anyone wants to learn about the cellaring of casks, NERAX is offering training in March where you will help setup for NERAX. Contact Jim Bowser for details.
- Modern Brewer is opening a new site in Weymouth. They will have bulk grain, hops, wine kits, etc. Jim Bowser may end up being the manager. They have plenty of room for meetings also. They will be looking for part-time employees. Jim will have more info.
- South Shore Brewoff – we need to get going on setting a date, registering it, etc.
- NHC – Is anyone going to the National Homebrewers Conference this year? Brian S. is interested.
- New members: Mike and Chris introduced themselves.
By Frank Chenette
Frank went over various things to consider when trying to make your own recipe, and provided charts and other useful information on how to craft your own original recipe. The presentation can be found here